In Giarre, near Taormina, beneath Mount Etna and on the seafront, the first sweet factory in the south of Italy was born in 1914. Its founder was Santo Finocchiaro. On returning from Argentina he decided to establish his enterprise in Corso Italia. He was the one to invent cigarette shaped sweets, for which he received many important awards, including gold medals at jobs exhibitions
in Milan and Tripoli.
You can admire the diplomas and certificates,
the first sweet wrappers and boxes for sugared almonds,
the containers for the special sweet spices,
the discs from the old sweet wrapper machines,
the old brass containers used to sugar the almonds,
and even a 1959 Bianchina.
OUR FIRST DELICACIES…
Candy sweets only 10 lira a packet.
Our Sanavoce mints with vitamin C.
The multicolour Cannellina Riccia.
The Ducavola sugar almonds from Avola
and other sweet specialities.
…AND THE STORY CONTINUES…
In 1935 his son Giovanni was overcome with a passion for confectionery art, and thanks to his entrepreneurial charisma, helped day and night by his wife Maria, in 1960 his father’s small factory became a real sweet industry. Along with sweets, no longer wrapped one by one by hand, they also started to make sugar almonds and cannellina.
In 1965, in a nearby factory, they started to make pure chocolate delicacies.
THE FACTORY IS TRANSFORMED
INTO A WORKSHOP AND A HISTORICAL CHOCOLATERIE AND LITERARY CAFE'
Sicilian passion and confectionery tradition continued in the same building with Gaetano Finocchiaro. He paid tribute to his family’s legacy, especially that of his father, by transforming the factory into what is now, according to chocolaterie and literary cafe' Gambero Rosso, a:
“Historical Italian Building”,
and also a workshop of ideas and solutions for confectionery and much more, all under one brand.